Helps homeowners conserve water and reduce water bills. holds up to 54 gallons of water. measures 24" dia x 32" h. features safety grid and removable debris screen. built in 4 foot hose with thumb valve stores neatly in slot at top of the barrel. overflow hose diverts excess water away from your house. made of durable, uv-stable polyethylene. link two or more together in seconds. a foolproof linking kit is included with every barrel, so you can add capacity as your garden expands.
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 24 x 32 inches ; 18.1 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 20 pounds
- Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.
- Shipping Advisory:: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. Additional shipping charges will not apply.
- ASIN: B0007QMAZU
- Item model number: RB-01
Roll out the barrel
Also, the clip meant to keep the hose attached to the top of the barrel is useless, it slips out just as soon as you use it – I ended up hooking a hose coupler and connecting all the outlets together, one hose supplied by 3 barrels, which solved that issue.
Why 5 stars if I have these bad comments? Well, they’re easy fixes. I have a well for all my household water needs, so I am making an investment. Plus, to keep these things in your garden and really use them effectively, you have to fit them to your own needs.
There’s a few reasons why I chose this barrel over other ones available:
- Has a nice open top so you don’t have to play about getting it lined up with the downspout. Most the other styles I looked at had a small opening that needed to be lined up directly with the down spout.
- SAFETY! Yes, the top of the barrel is ‘open’, but it is formed with a rigid spoke pattern – almost like a bicycle wheel – you’d have trouble putting your arm (or anything else) through it into the water.
- Debris screen. I like gardening, but I’m not keen on clearing out my gutters… The screen ‘lid’ supplied does a great job at keeping most junk out of the barrel itself. It also stops the neighborhood mosquito’s from setting up daycare in the barrel…
- Flat back – the back of this barrel is flat – sits nicely up against the outside of the house (if that’s what you want).
- Solid construction – made of thicker plastic than most the others I looked at.
- Outlet positioning – the hose connection for these barrels is about 1″ from the bottom of the barrel, you can drain it to empty. All but one of the other styles I looked at had the outlet 5 or 6″ above the bottom. That means you can’t drain the thing all the way, wasting water.
So far, we have 3 hooked up together from one downspout, 2 hooked up together from another. Over the past 2 summer seasons, I have not needed to hook the garden hose to the mains water. I even washed the family cars with the saved water too.
Three years later … Still going strong.
Winter care: Empty them out and turn them upside down (or put a fully closed cover over the tops) in the winter, if these freeze full or more than half full you’ll damage them!
As you would expect with anything left out in the elements all year around, they do collect a little ‘silt’ or grow gunk on the insides. It’s not too much trouble to hose these out or use a rag on the end of a stick to wipe the insides clean once a year… it goes a long way to stopping any funky smell when you use the water!
Great concept, slightly flawed execution
The watering hose is not held on very well–make sure you tighten the hose clamp well! It came out while my wife was using it and we had a gushing leak.
Other design elements are great: screen, varmint grate, overall conception. We like it and use it with a rain chain.
Great water saving system
1. Flat back side – allows you to place your barrel right next to your outside wall.
2. Large screen on top – keeps out mosquitoes, leaves and other stuff, including animals and children. The screen also allows you flexibility in placing your downspout
3. Superior customer service: Achla replaced a screen for me at no cost when it arrived torn
4. Multi-barrel connecting system – Built-in ability to connect cross-hose (included) to another barrel to save even more water.
5. All connections and hoses are included, but the “ties” for connecting overflow and cross-barrel hoses are lame and you’ll need to but hose clamps at HD or hardware store.
Only the connector ties as far as I can see.
EDIT: 4 YEARS LATER
These barrels are still in use and look as good as the day purchased.
By draining them and turning them over during the winter months, no water freezes in them during the bitter midwest cold.
Cold climate — beware
Rain Barrel for the masses
recycling made easy
LOVE IT !!!
Incoming search terms:
- achla designs rb-01 green rain barrel
- Achla Designs RB-01 Green Rain Barrel - 54 gallon
Filed under: Rain Barrels
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!